The following illustrates the obligations and rights of pregnant workers and their employers
The pregnant employee
- must inform the employer of the pregnancy and present a medical document;
- is entitled to 16 hours per month for medical examinations if they cannot be done outside working hours;
- is entitled to decrease her working hours by 25% when recommended by their family doctor, without a pay cut.
- Does not have the right to dismiss a pregnant employee for reasons having to do with the pregnancy;
- Must not expose the pregnant employee to health and safety risks;
- Inform the work doctor of the state of the pregnant employee within 10 days after learning she is pregnant;
- Must not inform other workers of the employee's pregnancy. This confidentiality can only be broken in the circumstance where it is necessary to continue carrying out the company's activities.